Haiti is a country located in the Caribbean sea. It occupies the western three-eighths of the island which it shares with the Dominican Republic. Much of Haiti’s population lives in rural areas working as farmers or laborers. Haitian Creole is one of the official languages of the country along with French. Haiti’s tropical climate means temperature remains warm for most of the year. Many Haitians practice voodoo, which combines West African spiritualism with the worship of Roman Catholic saints. A common saying in the country is that Haitians are 70 percent Catholic, 30 percent Protestant, and a hundred percent voodoo. In 2003, voodoo was declared an official religion. Today, marriages and other ceremonies held in the voodoo tradition are recognized by the government.
With around 60% of the population living in poverty, Haiti is the poorest country in the Caribbean. The primary industries in Haiti include agriculture, fishing, mining and minerals and gold.
11,578,243 as of Friday, October 8, 2021
Haiti is the most mountainous country in the Caribbean
From political instability to natural disasters, Haiti’s health care system faces many challenges.
It has the highest infant and maternal mortality, the worst malnutrition and the worst AIDS situation in the Americas.
Moreover, the majority of Haiti’s population does not have access to quality education. According to wikipedia, the Haitian Educational System yields the lowest total rate in the education realm of the Western Hemisphere. Haiti's literacy rate of about 61% (64.3% for males and 57.3% for females) is below the 90% average literacy rate for Latin American and Caribbean countries
Curabitur sed iaculis dolor, non congue ligula. Maecenas imperdiet ante eget hendrerit posuere. Nunc urna libero, congue porta nibh a, semper feugiat sem. Sed auctor dui eleifend, scelerisque eros ut, pellentesque nibh. Nam lacinia suscipit accumsan. Donec sodales, neque vitae rutrum convallis.
General Summary of our work (1-2 paragraphs):
Importance of our work section and some of the impacts: At Strive2Thrive Edu our aim is to provide all students with equal access to quality education. By improving literacy rates in rural regions of the country, we hope to provide students with skills that would allow them to compete for jobs on a national level. Moreover by providing classes on various subjects like computer science to business studies, we expose students to different areas of research, allowing them to explore their passions
Curabitur sed iaculis dolor, non congue ligula. Maecenas imperdiet ante eget hendrerit posuere. Nunc urna libero, congue porta nibh a, semper feugiat sem.
United Nations Sustainable Development Goal Alignment
- Reduce maternal mortality
- Fight communicable diseases
- End all preventable deaths under 5 years of age
- ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and effective learning outcomes
- ensure that all girls and boys have access to quality early childhood development
- substantially increase the number of youth and adults who have relevant skills
- progressively achieve and sustain income growth of the bottom 40 per cent of the population at a rate higher than the national average
- empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status.
- Enhance the global partnership for sustainable development
- Encourage effective partnerships